



## 2022/23 GUILD COUNCIL SPECIAL MEETING

### MEETING MINUTES

#### **Acknowledgement of Country**

*We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians whose ancestral lands on which this meeting is held. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal peoples to country and pay respects to the cultural authority of Aboriginal peoples.*

#### **Details**

**Date** 30<sup>th</sup> of January 2023, Monday

**Time** 1300 AWST

**Location** Board Room or Online via Teams

If any member of this meeting would like to submit an addition, modification, or strike an item from the agenda, please contact Christopher Nonis, Guild General Secretary.

## Attendees

Role	Member	Pronouns	Apology
Guild President	Heidee Austic	She/Her	
General Secretary	Christopher Nonis	He/Him	
Education Vice-President	Kevin Kurian	He/Him	
MUPSA President	Adelakun Odunyemi	He/Him	
MSA (Mandurah) President	Chloe Pech	She/Her	/
MISA President	Jennifer Sashmitha	She/Her	
Women's Rep	Elaine Dessie	She/Her	
Queer Rep	Luke Morgan	They/Them	
Sustainability Rep	Elizabeth Tan	She/Her	/
External Rep	Jaztine Kate	She/Her	/
Council Member	Ariff Julainie	He/Him	
Council Member	Sami Rashid	He/Him	/
Council Member	Jesse Bellotti	He/Him	
Council Member	Sariah Eivers	She/Her	
Council Member	Daisy Bond	She/Her	
Council Member	Jamilla Day	She/Her	/

## Special Invitations

Role	Name
Finance Manager	Vanessa Wong
General Manager	Evan Battalis
Immediate Past President	David Ugrinov

## Agenda

1	General Updates
2	Guild Budget 2023

The meeting commenced at 1.08 p.m. Members of the Council were presented with the Murdoch Guild Council Budget document throughout the session.

## Content

### **Heidee Austic:**

So, this is just going to be a short meeting, basically just for everyone to have a look at the budget. Our next Council meeting in February will have the proper one where everyone can say their bit and bystander training as well. The apologies for today are Elizabeth, Jamillia, Sammy, Jaztine, Chloe and David Ugrinov. We will also send a copy to them so they can look at everything and make sure everything is all good. I will give you a brief outline of what I've been doing. So, at the moment, Laney has been a little busy. Sariah, Beck from the Projects Team and myself had a meeting about International Women's Day. So International Women's Day is on the 8th of March this year. What we're planning on doing, which we'll discuss with Laney about approximately today, actually. I am thinking of Wednesday, which will be International Women's Day. The event will be like a kind of sundowner at the Tavern, so we'll get a couple of the lecturers to just come to have a chat with some of the students, and then we'll watch a female empowering movie. And then on Thursday at the MarketDays, even though it's the day after International Women's Day, we were thinking of having just a couple of stalls like some nail art stalls and a paint-by-numbers mural. But everyone can do knows it will be like a picture of like women kind of thing. So, we'll get everyone. I'll let everyone know more information about that. I've also put out like an advertisement with the access and Equity Team about Disability Rep, so I've had a couple of emails back about that so far. So, probably a bit at the end of this week, we'll close that, and we'll kind of interview some of the people that have put their hand up for the position.

### **Evan Battalis:**

And I say don't forget people are slowly coming back. People have been away as well, so it might be more than a week. It might be less than a week, but it's around about.

### **Heidee Austic:**

Yeah, OK, awesome. As well, which I'll give you guys more information about in an e-mail, is that the access and equity team is opening an international café, every Wednesday from 11 am to 1 pm below the Student Hub.

### **Jesse Bellotti:**

First of all, good day, Evan. Welcome to the meeting. Secondly, you said about the disability rate you're looking at, you're looking for that. Are you doing the same thing for the indigenous Rep?

**Heidee Austic:**

So yeah, we need to go speak again with Kulbardi and follow up.

**Kevin Kurian:**

I've already spoken once to Kulbardi, and they will get back to me again so that we can have more chat about it.

**Jesse Bellotti:**

How did you talk to him? Am I allowed to ask that?

**Kevin Kurian:**

Uh, I think I talked to Aaron. I don't think Aaron, but there was this Louis guy.

**Jesse Bellotti:**

OK, alright, no worries.

**Heidee Austic:**

I will follow up with them again; sorry. Going back to the earlier topic, the International cafe. So, every Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. They'll be like a catch-up. International students and the Access and Equity team have asked if a couple of people or just one or two people every week from the Guild Council just come down to informally ask everyone, like how they're going, if they need any support or anything like that. So yeah, is anyone available during that time, just let us know, but I'll send you an e-mail about that. I had a meeting with some of the Guild Presidents earlier today, and I went to the NUS meeting (National Union of Students). We were like members of that quite a few years ago. In 2014, we stopped being members, but we're still technically affiliated, so the Guild president at Curtin is the WA State branch President for the NUS. I've just asked him if he can send me some other documents, and then I will send them out to everyone because I was thinking of maybe being read-affiliated. When that comes out, give you some more information on that as well. And then, just a side note Kevin and I will be going to Melbourne on Wednesday for a conference. We will be away Thursday and Friday. It's a conference about leadership and social media and all that kind of stuff, but we will still be available by e-mail if you can talk to us. That's the main things I did want to talk about. I'll hand you over to Kevin to just give brief updates.

**Kevin Kurian:**

Yeah, so there's not been much happening. I'm just working with the sporting clubs, both the ideas for socials and everything. And then yeah. I will be attending the conference with Heidee in Melbourne and looking forward to it. That is all from me. I will pass it on to Chris for his updates.

**Christopher Nonis:**

Thank you, Kevin. For my side, I only have a few things to update for this meeting. I have been speaking with the MISA president, Jennifer, about the role of MISA and sourcing out the new committee. Jennifer mentioned that she wouldn't be in Perth for the first semester based on personal reasons. I have completed the previous Council meeting minutes, which will be handed out to members of the Council before the next Council meeting. I have also aliased myself with other Cultural clubs such as Singapore Club, Filipino Club and Bubble Tea Society regarding their club updates. That is all from me.

**Evan Battalis:**

I did not prepare anything for this meeting but just observed the budget meeting. There are a few things going on, but we're starting to ramp up. By about mid-February, you start getting a lot of people back on campus. By the end of February, you get the peak, and the peak stays until about the first week of study (break around Easter). This is the time when it's most important for all, for all staff, the Guild Councilors, and everybody to do as much as we can towards engagement of students to get students involved in our clubs, in our events and all the things that we do, especially the fact that we have a third of our cohort, possibly more, that are all brand new students or new students. And many of them will have no idea about even where certain buildings are, let alone what the Guild is. And so, It's really important that we use those major events of O- day and Festival Day and

all the other MarketDays and all the other events that we're doing to really reach out to people and let them know that, you know, join the club and make some friends and come to our events and enjoy University life because there shouldn't experience is something which goes hand in hand with academic. A few things to say there, but we're still working on the extension of our Tavern lease. I won't go into the background, but we've had a few individuals over in the Chancery who had some opposition to a student Guild running a Tavern, but those people have since left, and those people now that have left, and the Vice Chancellor is all for it. So, we're just in the process of waiting for our extended, at least our, long-term lease to come in, and we're still working on that. But unless it's in hand, I'm like a dog after a bone. I want to sign the seal because it's important. Because that happens, the Tavern is important for many events that we do in student engagement and functions and so forth. And it's not just a place for drinking. It's a place for meetings because many people don't drink, and many people do drink, but it's for both. So, it's very, very important. And it's on the agenda. But I just wanted to cover that. We are reopening our Guild bookshop very soon; we ran about it last year's looking quite lovely, and in another week or so and it should be ready to roll.

**Heidee Austic:**

Awesome. Thanks, Evan. OK, we'll go right into the budget now. I go get Vanessa, the finance manager, and she can explain it to everyone.

**Jesse Bellotti:**

What's the deal with the emails? When is that coming? Any closer, or is that still the?

**Evan Battalis:**

Yeah, Veronica is working up. So, because the university has updated a new system, it may be just something called my workday. Yeah, and they're in the transition period, and it's a bit all over the place. All our attempts to fast forward the simple process have been met with delays. Unfortunately, the wheels are turning very slowly out of our control, but we'll get there; we'll get there.

**Jesse Bellotti:**

OK. Thank you.

**Vanessa:**

Hello everyone. I will be discussing the budget. So, let me give the high-level budget first, and then we will go into details, which is what the new Council area is. So, for the budget, you see, 2023, what we aim to do is we're trying to break even. We are quite positive that the student number will be returned higher. And so, the approach that we are taking to do this 2023 budget is we are looking at 2019; we're looking at the actual that happened in 2019. But we are not taking the 100% from 2019 because we're assuming not all the students will be, you know, the spending behaviour will be the same. We are taking 85% for the Tavern and 80% from 2019 actual, and that's how we plan our budget for 2023. So, for the Guild Council area, we are planning quite similarly to 2022. The breakdown of the budget from Chris, Kevin and Heidee. Three of them work together to allocate their self-funding for each event and each area, Heidee, do you know how you want to go, or do you feel free to answer any question after?

**Heidee Austic:**

Ohh yeah, everyone wants to have a look. Suppose you do have any questions. Let us know, but yeah. Otherwise, have a little look. See if it makes sense to you.

**Vanessa:**

Let me give a high level as well. Yeah. So, we allocate AUD\$ 32,250 for events from January to December. For each area based on your position, feel free to see Heidee forward the breakdown. You know your budget that you can spend for 2023 before you plan ahead your events so that you don't always spend. And if you need more funding throughout the year, feel free to come to see me on the idea. So we are, we can allocate funding, you know, from the contingency fund. So, if you don't see your budget or you don't get the allocated funding that you need, feel free to talk to us as well. While we can work out, you know how to transfer the funding, and for

the student, also we put AUD\$45,000 to give four for 2023 based on the experience we have from 2022. So, I think AUD\$ 45,000 should be very reasonable. But we were still trying to restrict and cut down the budget if possible. We see how the ticket sales and the number of attendances as well. And for the conference, we allocate AUD\$12,350 for Guild Conference. So, we have three conferences that we put down. So first one is The National Union of Student President Summit for 2023, and the other two are the TAG.

**Evan Battalis:**

It's now called the tertiary access group (TAG). It changed its name and rebranded to Student Experience Network. It's the professional industry body for all the Guilds. From a commercial point of view, nationally and across Australia now includes New Zealand universities across the ditch.

**Vanessa:**

We are really committed to the Executives attending these events. So, it's a really, really great event and only having. So once again, and for METIOR, we allocate AUD\$ 8480, so the budget is for the METIOR printing, inclusive of the E-copy, and hiring a Meteor editor. That is the budget.

**Evan Battalis:**

Can I add one comment while I've got everybody in the room and virtually? I just have some advice and that is that with the Guild Ball try and get yourself. Let's try and get it organised and set up well in advance. It was a little bit difficult last year because we weren't aware of what would happen with COVID. It was still coming off the end of COVID lockdowns. Maybe going to have lockdowns and talk about all sorts of stuff going on, and it will come after two years of it as well. So, it was great. We had one end of last year, and it went well. But I think we need to be able to plan well ahead in advance for that one and make it a real blast of a night and invite people from the Chancellor, essential people within the university as well.

**Vanessa:**

I will be here to support and help as well. So, before you guys sign any contract or do any budget, invite or talk to me so that I can help you do your budget separately only for this event so that we can keep track of all the expenditures. Does anyone have any questions about the Guild Council budget? OK. Can I move forward? So, the next one is for our Project. So, project, the budget is actually more income than in 2022. We expected to have about AUD\$ 25,000 in income. And thanks to Belicia, we have more advertising income and the event store rental income for 2023. So, Belicia would be a lot of different customers or clients that we have from 2018 and 19. So, she contacted them and offered different packages (more interesting and attractive packages for them). So, we already have many clients committed to E-advertising for 2023. And for the Student Services, we actually invested money for Airport Pickup. This year is different; we increase AUD\$50K for Airport Pickup because we have that demand. I believe we have many students, right? International students have already launched the application for these services so that student services will be really busy in 2023. For Volunteering Service, we would like to bring back some of the programs for volunteering. We are actually looking to hire someone, maybe part-time or full-time in that area, and we're trying to bring back the events that we have from 2018/19 as well. So hopefully, volunteering will be active and contribute more in 2023

For the commercial area, if you are interested to know the total budget, and the whole set of budgets, feel free to come and see me, or you can, you know, make an appointment to go through details with me. But we're not sending out the commercial budgets to anyone because there's a lot of sensitive information, and you know the prices stated in there that I probably couldn't share with everyone but feel free to come and see me if you need more information or interested to know more details. And the bookstore will be reopened in February. Got any questions?

Members of the Council have approved the budget.

**Luke Morgan:**

Sorry. I just wanted to ask. So, the student total budget is what I'm reading right as AUD\$ 40,000, correct?

**Heidee Austic:**

Yes. I believe it's very similar to what it has been in the past few years. So, we just kept it in that range.

**Luke Morgan:**

Concerned because that's that. That's much money for one night. There's just all I'm thinking.

**Kevin Kurian:**

There are a lot of things we take into consideration, for example, the venue hires and food that take a big chunk of the budget. Therefore, we try to stay between the budget range of 40K to 45K. And it is similar to previous budgets as well.

**Jesse Bellotti:**

Can I say something quickly if it's so much on the budget? Does that mean the tickets are finally free, or are they going to cost now? can't the Guild members get a free ticket like the Guild Council?

**Christopher Nonis:**

The Guild Council members did not get a free ticket for the Guild Ball last year. The budget was used for hiring costs, decorations, DJ and sound systems. These are all the expenses for the Guild Ball. The income we get from ticket sales is there to either break even or make a loss for our accumulated expenses. We don't make a profit from Guild Ball.

**Kevin Kurian:**

I mean, even though me being a part of the Guild Council last year, I didn't get a free ticket. I had to pay for mine.

**Jesse Bellotti:**

OK. Thank you.

**Heidee Austic:**

Laney here. Do you have a question?

**Elaine Dessie:**

I just wanted to reiterate what Vanessa was saying. Did she say that for each individual Guild Council member who deals with their own selective funding to kind of have a one-on-one with her to figure out, I guess, estimated funding potential that we could have for the events that we will organise?

**Heidee Austic:**

Yeah. So, in the budget, that's already included, but if you wanted more detailed information about what those exact costs are, you can chat with her, and she'll be able to show you everything.

**Elaine Dessie:**

Whereabouts on the budget is that? Cause I can find?

**Heidee Austic:**

So it's not on there because we don't send out a copy of it because it is quite sensitive. So, if you wanted to see it, you would have to come in person to see Vanessa.

**Elaine Dessie:**

OK, all good. And I also wanted to ask if we had this conversation before the beginning of this year regarding the breastfeeding rooms.

Yeah. So, I just wanted to know, just away from the budgeting aspect, how that was going and what kind of is going on because I haven't been updated on anything regarding that.

**Heidee Austic:**

Yes. So, the room has moved to the under the Den. The room that I initially discussed with you. So, the movers moved that last week. They moved all the furniture. We have to follow up with them because they did kind of clump the furniture into, like, a corner of the room. That should be up and running before the semester starts, and I've also been speaking with Hazel. I'm not sure if you guys know that Hazel is leaving. So, I've just been chatting with her about what she does for the room, so if you like, I can get her to get in contact with you, or we can have a meeting to discuss all the things that she wants to keep on going once she leaves.

**Elaine Dessie:**

Yeah, I'd probably want to set up a meeting with her and figure out also the with the furniture situation. Also, , what to keep or want to kind of disregard to considering where swapping. I'm guessing the rooms will be different.

**Heidee Austic:**

Yeah, it's a bit different, but we've given the women's room, so underneath the Den doesn't have an actual breastfeeding room and it is more like a little kitchen room and stuff. But we've also given them the room next to it. So, like for studying and stuff as well. There are actually two rooms. So yeah, but yeah, I'll definitely go talk with her after this and try and see if you guys can have a chat about that.

**Elaine Dessie:**

Beautiful. Thank you.

**Jesse Bellotti:**

So, one question quickly; sorry for asking all the questions, all these stupid questions. Please tell me if they are ridiculous, but I'm thinking, where is the Den?

**Heidee Austic:**

It's underneath, the Student Hub.

**Jesse Bellotti:**

I don't know where that is. I don't need to know where you're putting the breastfeeding room. That's for women. I don't know where that is, but there was a breastfeeding room near the Kulbardi Centre, and women did use the room are Indigenous women. So, is that going now? Is that what you're saying?

**Heidee Austic:**

Yeah. So that's the room that has moved.



**Jesse Bellotti:**

So where will they go, did they? They don't feel comfortable going to wherever this Den is.

**Kevin Kurian:**

Yeah, it's just below the student hub.

**Elaine Dessie:**

Yeah. We've relocated the breastfeeding room to the student hub right underneath where the student cafeteria area just for location's sake.

**Jesse Bellotti:**

Fair enough. I had to say that, but like, Aboriginal women don't like being up there. That's why they had that breastfeeding room near Kulbardi. I don't know why that's gone.

**Elaine Dessie:**

Then that's probably what we are going to have to speak with Kulbardi about if a majority of indigenous women are not comfortable with the location

**Jesse Bellotti:**

OK.

**Heidee Austic:**

Yeah, it was Kulbardi that needed the rooms that they were in for different services. And that at that time was kind of the best alternative room that we could find to kind of suit everyone.

**Evan Battalis:**

Can I add it? The university impressed us the importance of having that area because they needed to employ new councilors for new students that have a bump in the number of students coming that could be needed to cater for. So, they needed extra councilors through Kulbardi for those extra students coming. Otherwise, it would actually jeopardise the possibility of those students coming not being able to house the councilors in the same area and the same sort of hub. So, they asked us if it could be moved. So obviously there was put on the table and all the stakeholders were engaged, and this happened around October, November, December; that sort of period, and basically most well the stakeholders are basically read, and everyone worked out that yes, it's very important for Kulbardi to have those the extra accommodation that they need for the councilors and that would work. The queer collective room, if I'm not mistaken, has gone to the third level at the building behind us at 460, in a room up the top, there. So that's the background behind it, Jesse, because it was more to try and accommodate and help the needs of Kulbardi. More than anything, obviously, based on relocating them, and that's what was put on the table.

**Jesse Bellotti:**

OK. Thank you.


**Heidee Austic:**

No worries. Did anyone else have any questions about any of that? If anyone does want to chat one-on-one about anything, feel free to give any of us a message and we can kind of go over it in more detail if anyone wants. If that's everything, though, I will probably let you all go. I will give you more notice for the next Guild Council meeting. And we'll also have bystander training for that one as well. I hope you all have a good

afternoon.

The meeting was adjourned at 1.37 p.m.

Prepared by:

A handwritten signature in blue ink, consisting of a large, stylized 'C' followed by 'Nonis', written over a horizontal line.

Christopher Nonis

Murdoch Guild General Secretary

Approved by:

A handwritten signature in blue ink, appearing to read 'Heidee', written over a horizontal line.

Heidee Austic

Murdoch Guild President