Finding employment

Both domestic and international students can contact our Student Assist Officers to receive guidance and assistance with finding work while they study.

Preparing for Work

There are a few things you need to prepare to legally start working in Australia.


Tax File Number (TFN)

To legally work in Australia, you need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) with the Australian Tax Office (ATO). 

A TFN is your personal reference number in the tax and superannuation systems. Find out more about TFN from the ATO’s website

If you grew up in Australia, it’s likely that you already have one made for you during your school years. But if you’re an international student or an Australian citizen that has only recently moved to Perth, you’ll need to apply for one online.

Please visit the ATO’s webpage for Foreign passport holders, permanent migrant and temporary visitors and Australian residents for more information.


Australian Business Number (ABN)

If you are starting a business, freelancing or planning to work for a ride-share or delivery app, you will need to register for an Australian Business Number (ABN).

An ABN is a unique 11-digit number that identifies your business or organisation to the government and community.

Find out more and apply for an ABN here.


Improving your employability

You can always improve your resume and upskill to increase your chances of getting hired.

Careers and Employability

Murdoch Careers and Employability centre allows for students to access free career services and resources. You can also ask them for personalised resume tips, advice.

Visit Murdoch’s Careers and Employability webpage to find out how you can take control of your present and future career.

Murdoch Guild Volunteering

Practical experience can help you develop and demonstrate skills and attributes to increase employability and set yourself apart.

Volunteering shows future employers that you are compassionate and driven, among other qualities. Signing up to take part in a volunteer program or do long-term volunteering will also award you with Murdoch’s Community and Employability Pathway Transcript.

Find out more about volunteering and how to get transcript recognition here.

Job Ready Training Course

Murdoch Guild offers Job Ready Training Courses at a discounted rate so students can upskill and improve their resume at a lower cost.

Our List of Courses:

  • Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) Training
  • Barista Training
  • First Aid Training

Where to find work

You can find work at popular job search sites like Seek or LinkedIn, apply through a Temp Agency (like Sidekicker), submit your CV in-person or through Murdoch University and Guild channels.

  • Murdoch Guild employs casuals at our cafes, bookshop and tavern. See what job positions are available at The Guild and submit your resume here.
  • Murdoch University employs hundred s of students. Keep a close eye on MyMurdoch and Murdoch University’s website for vacancies.
  • Murdoch University is a founding partner of RAC Arena, giving students exclusive access to work opportunities. From student internship programs to casual positions, Murdoch students are first in line.


Know your rights

It’s important to get informed on your working rights to ensure that you are getting paid appropriately and are working in a safe workplace. 

Head to Fairwork’s National Employment Standards webpage to ensure your 11 minimum employment entitlements are met.

If you are an international student, we highly advise that you visit Fairwork’s International Students webpage.

Contact Student Assist

Murdoch Guild’s Student Assist officers are ready to listen to your academic concerns and provide direction. You can book an appointment with us via our booking calendar below.

For further enquiries, you can contact us at