Tax help

Every year, we provide free tax assistance for students who need an extra hand filling out their tax returns. Tax Help is a volunteer-run service that is accessible to all students.

Don’t worry, our volunteers have taken intensive training with the ATO and have been screened by us to ensure they can provide sensible tax advice.

We are still awaiting confirmation from the ATO to provide us with a trained volunteer to undertake the Tax Help program. Once finalised, we will update this webpage with more booking information.


Tax Help is available for students who meet the following criteria:

  • Earn $60,000 p.a. or less
  • Do not have complex tax affairs such as income from business, investment properties, rent, voluntary agreement or royalties
  • Do not obtain income from freelancing, rideshare services or delivery services (such as Uber, OLA or Menulog)

How to receive Tax Help

Students can book an appointment for Tax Help when our program opens. We are still awaiting confirmation from the ATO to provide us with a trained volunteer. Once finalised, we will update this page so you can start booking your Tax Help appointment.

Step 1: Ensure that you are eligible for Tax Help by reading the criteria above.

Step 2: Book an appointment online or in-person with your Tax Help volunteer.

Scroll down to see our booking calendar. You can book in a Tax Help appointment when it’s become available.

Step 3: Prepare all the relevant information and documents you need to bring prior to your appointment, including:

  • myGov user ID and password
  • Tax File Number (TFN)
  • Original or amended Notice of Assessment Form issues in the last 5 years
  • Bank Account Details (BSB and account number)
  • Medicare card or number
  • Private Health Insurance Statement (must show fund details)
  • All statements from banks and financial institutions showing interest received during the financial year
  • All PAYG payment summaries or income statements from employers in the financial year
  • Details of all income from Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • All dividend, super and managed fund statements
  • All foreign income details and pension details
  • All receipts for gifts and donations to Deductible Gift Recipients (DGR)
  • All receipts for work-related expenses
  • Details of any child support payments made
  • Details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties

If you had a spouse (married or de-facto) at any time during the financial year, you would also need to bring details of your spouse’s taxable income.

Step 4: Attend your appointment where our volunteer will help you prepare your tax return and provide tax advice.

Book An Appointment

Murdoch Guild’s Student Assist officers are impartial, objective and ready to listen to your needs. You can book an appointment with us via our booking calendar below. Tax Help appointment options will be made available when it opens.

For further enquiries, you can contact us at