Tax Help

Tax Help Centre

This service has ended for 2020. The Tax Help Centre will be available again in mid-2021 and appointments take place in the Murdoch Guild Amenities building.

The Australian Tax Office provides training to student volunteers who can assist with simple tax returns. Tax Help Volunteers have undertaken intensive training and meet the accreditation requirements to assist. Tax Help is a free service available to all students who meet the eligibility requirements.


This service is provided annually and available to all students who earn $60,000 p.a. or less. This service is not available for tax payers with more complex tax affairs such as income from business, investment properties, rent, voluntary agreement or royalties. i.e. people who earn an income through an ABN, like Uber Eats, Menulog, Ola, and Deliveroo are not eligible. Taxpayers can check the full list of eligibility by contacting ATO on 132861.

Tax Help Volunteers can assist eligible tax payers in the following areas:

  • Complete straightforward personal tax returns and offer advice
  • Complete applications for refunds of imputation credits
  • Complete non-lodgement advice for those who do not need to submit a tax return

For people not eligible for Medicare (usually international students) and earning more than $21,980 =

  • Need to fill a Medicare Entitlement Statement (found on the Human Services website of the Australian Government)
  • Email it back to their services (email is given on the form) with the necessary documents (also given and listed)
  • Wait for a response from their department to lodge a tax return

This will ensure that people non-eligible to Medisave do not have to pay the Medicare Levy.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

  • myGov user ID and password
  • tax file number
  • an original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years
  • BSB and bank account details
  • Medicare card or number
  • private health insurance statement showing fund details
  • all statements from banks and financial institutions showing interest received during the income year
  • all PAYG payment summaries/income statement from employers
  • all payment summaries from super funds
  • details of all income from Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs (including details of any tax-free pensions or benefits)
  • all dividend, super and managed fund statements
  • all foreign income details and pension statements or details of the amounts you received
  • all receipts for gifts, donations, and work-related expenses
  • details of any child support payments made
  • details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties (net investment losses).

If the customer had a spouse – married or de-facto – at any time during the financial year, they also need to bring details of their spouse’s taxable income, including any of their documents, to the appointment. We need this information to complete certain fields on the customer’s tax return. If they do not know their spouse’s exact taxable income, they will need to make a reasonable estimate of the amounts received by their spouse.

If you have any questions about the above information, please contact Lucinda at