This service is available from the beginning of July to the end of October each year and appointments take place in the Murdoch Guild Amenities building.
The Australian Tax Office provides The Murdoch Guild with trained volunteers to assist with simple tax affairs/returns. Volunteers have undertaken intensive training and have met the accreditation requirements to assist. Tax Help is a free service and is available to all staff and students as long as they meet the eligibility requirements.
Taxpayer’s income is around $60,000 or less for the financial year. This service is not available for tax payers with more complex tax affairs such as income from business, investment properties, rent, voluntary agreement or royalties. Taxpayers can check the full list of eligibility by contacting ATO on 132861.
Tax help volunteers can assist eligible tax payers in the following areas:
- Completing straightforward personal tax returns and offering advice
- Completing applications for refunds of imputation credits
- Completing non-lodgement advice for those who do not need to submit a tax return
Book an appointment: Will be opened in 2018
What do I need to bring to my appointment?
• myGov user ID and password
• tax file number
• an original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years
• BSB and bank account details
• Medicare card or number
• private health insurance statement showing their fund details
• all statements from banks and financial institutions showing interest received during the income year
• all PAYG payment summaries from employers
• all payment summaries from super funds
• details of all income from Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs (including details of any tax-free pensions or benefits)
• all dividend, super and managed fund statements
• all foreign income details and pension statements or details of the amounts you received
• all receipts for gifts, donations, and work-related expenses
• details of any child support payments made by them
• details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties (net investment losses).
If the customer had a spouse – married or de-facto – at any time during the financial year, they also need to bring details of their spouse’s taxable income, including any of their documents, to the appointment. We need this information to complete certain labels on the customer’s tax return. If they do not know their spouse’s exact taxable income, they will need to make a reasonable estimate of the amounts received by their spouse.
If you have any questions about the above information, please contact your Murdoch Guild Assist Officer at H.Mangazva@murdochguild.com.au or 9360 7350