The Murdoch Industry Mentoring (MIM) program aims to make connections between students and professionals to make lasting and meaningful mentorships. This provides Murdoch students with a relationship to gain insight into their industry, develop career-relevant skills, and prepare for the transition into the workplace.
MIM allows students and professionals to form their own matches based on their own personal preferences when it comes to mentoring. Once matched, the program provides mentors and mentees autonomy over the relationship as both parties are welcome to set their own goals and direction. Support is provided with the opportunity for training to help get both parties started together and program coordinators will be available to provide any help as needed.
How to Join
To access the mentor pool and find a mentor, simply follow the steps below:
- Log in here and complete the mentee application
- Select a mentor from the pool and await their confirmation
- Once confirmed, attend the mentee training (more information below)
- Meet your mentor at the launch event and get started (more information below)
To participate as a mentee, you will need to be:
- A current Murdoch University student
- Able to attend one of the required training session before meeting with your mentor (details below)
- Able meet your mentor at the launch event should they wish to do the same (details below)
To be a mentor, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have three years of industry experience
- Be able to provide three hours of mentoring over a month and a half from the 24th of April to the 5th of June. This support can be provided face-to-face, online over skype, or simply be the total time provided through helpful email communications. No matter what form the help comes in, mentors can be expected to give up at least 3 hours of their time to mentoring.
Support & Training Events
To support the success of each mentorship, optional training is offered for mentors and compulsory training is in place for mentees. The focus of these sessions is to help equip both groups to get the most out of the relationship and provide some meaningful direction for what might be achieved in their time together.
These sessions are to help Murdoch students mentees get the most out of their mentorship. Mentees will be sent an invite to participate in training once they have matched with a mentor. They are compulsory and only take an hour. There are four sessions on offer:
- 9th of April,12.30pm-1.30pm
- 9th of April, 5.30pm-6.30pm
- 11th of April, 12.30pm-1.30pm
- 11th of April, 5.30pm-6.30pm
Just prior to the launch event, a 30-minute training session will be available for mentors to help explain more about the mentoring process and provide so useful resource to help get the relationship going. This session is optional for mentors and only in place for mentors who might want additional help or have any further questions.
Mentorship Launch Event
The launch event is an optional session to introduce mentees and mentors to help get the relationship started. Materials are provided to both parties to support the nature of the mentorship and an opportunity to network with other mentors and mentees is also provided. In semester one, the Launch event will be held on the 24th of April 6.30pm-8pm at Murdoch Library. Matched mentors and mentees will receive a proper invitation with further details.
To celebrate and thank our mentors for providing the opportunity, a small thank you event is provided for mentors and mentees at the conclusion of the program. This casual event will be run before the exam period and is option for mentors.
Should have any questions or enquiries about the MIM program, please feel welcome to contact the Leadership & Development Coordinator, Thomas Stewart, at email@example.com or on (08) 9360 6231.